Over the last couple of weeks, those of you following this blog might have been surprised by the multiplication of blog posts…in different languages.
So, here is why.
Making the blog accessible to all
From the start, Frank and I decided that we would write the blog in English as the main language. But we also wanted to make the blog accessible to those in our respective families that could not read in English.
So we decided that Frank would write his weekly reports in Dutch and I would write some blogs in Spanish. And that we would both include at least a link to an automatic translation into English of the post.
Brilliant! we thought! Everyone happy!
How the readers see it
Oh! My! we were so WRONG!
What happens is that when someone sees the title of the post in another language that they cannot understand, they just simply do not click on the post at all. No click = no link to the English translation.
Our new solution
So, in order to make it clearer and easier for everyone, here is our new Beta-test solution:
For every post that we write in either Dutch or Spanish we have started to make at least an additional post, with at least:
- A title in English and
- Either the complete blog in English or a link to the google translation into English/Dutch/Spanish.
We would be happy to hear if you find this solution:
C) Useless, because you will not read the blog in english anyway 😉